The Big Bear is located in a small residential neighborhood in the heart of Washington, DC. It is a brick historic 120 year old Victorian commercial townhouse surrounded by cobblestone patios with flowering gardens, trees, and old native grape vines.
The Big Bear is a neighborhood cafe, coffeeshop, and restaurant with a history of award winning chefs, exceptional food, and professional service.
The indoor dining area has a full service traditional bar, walls of exposed brick and plaster, and rough-hewn hardwood tables built from the reclaimed beams of the original 120 year old Big Bear Market.
- The space is candle-lit at night and tables are configured for either large communal table dining. or the room can be cleared for an open-floor reception.
- The outside garden patio can be used in conjunction with the indoor space to allow for a separate outdoor use (such as an outdoor dining space, reception drinking area, outdoor fire pit seating area, presentation space, or other special activity).
- The indoor dining area can accommodate 48 guests for a seated meal, or 70 guests for an open floor reception style event.
- Between late April and early November the outdoor dining area can seat 85 guests for dining on the garden patios. This typically involves 2 long common tables side by side that run down the length of the R street patio with an optional main “head table” set at the end. The 1st Street Patio can be used for additional reception space.
- Between late April and early November we can accommodate up to 130 guests for an open floor reception style event utilizing both the indoors and outdoor spaces.
- Events larger than 40 guests require a full buy-out of both the indoor and the outdoor spaces.
- In the event of inclement weather, we can erect a canopy tent to cover the 1st street patio. With the canopy tent, there is space for 80 - 100 guests in an open floor reception style set up.
FOOD AND MEAL RELATED INFORMATION:
- We offer event menus with seasonal options made from the best ingredients in the area.
- - We offer event menus with seasonal options made from the best ingredients in the area.
- We serve a wide variety of dinner and reception items, and we are happy to work with you on custom items.
- We have a full bar with excellent beer, wine, and cocktail selections We can work together to design your event that meets the needs of your specific vision.
- For seated meals larger than 10 guests, meals are typically served family-style with large platters set on the table for guests to help serve one another. Alternately, platters can be set at a separate service table for more of a buffet style service.
- If you have guests with allergies or other dietary restrictions we are happy to accommodate. We can prepare options that are vegan, gluten free, onion-free, oil-free, or meat-only.
- Please note that for severe nut and other allergies where cross-contamination may be an issue, we recommend sourcing a meal from a certified vendor and bringing it in. We can heat, plate and serve it to your guest at the table.