The private garden patio is ideal for a weekend brunch, or any private patio reception.
We set your event on the secluded patio off to the side of Big Bear building enclosed with large flowering garden planters, overhead vines, and knotted trees.
We have a bustling neighborhood business, but we set your event in a private space where you can be surrounded with activity, but have a separate space of your own.
The Big Bear is located in a small residential neighborhood in the heart of Washington, DC. It is a brick historic 120 year old Victorian commercial townhouse surrounded by cobblestone patios with flowering gardens, trees, and old native grape vines.
The Big Bear is a neighborhood cafe, coffeeshop, and restaurant with a history of award winning chefs, exceptional food, and professional service.
- We are a busy neighborhood cafe, and we can only offer OUTDOOR event reservations during the day from 8am to 3pm.
- We have a maximum capacity of 30 guests for weekend daytime brunch and lunch events.
- If your event has more than 30 guests, we ask that your event take place after 3pm where we can guarantee you more space. We can work with you to plan a late afternoon/evening event that meets your needs.
- In the event of inclement weather we can install a canopy tent to cover the 1st street patio. While we usually keep the tent down we can install within 24 hours of your event depending on weather projections. We make the decision to install the tent 24 hours before your event start (made at the discretion of Big Bear management).
- The canopy tent can provide shelter for 30 guests for a standing open floor reception, and 20 guests for a seated event. We ask that if you have a group larger than 20 you understand the event will be more of a buffet style open floor reception if it rains.
FOOD AND MEAL RELATED INFORMATION:
- We offer event menus with seasonal options made from the best ingredients in the area.
- We serve a wide variety of breakfast and lunch items, and we have a full bar. We have brunch menus and bar packages, and we are happy to work with you to meet the needs of your specific vision.
- For seated meals larger than 10 guests, meals are typically served family-style with large platters set on the table for guests to help serve one another. Alternately, platters can be set at a separate service table for more of a buffet style service.
- If you have guests with allergies or other dietary restrictions we are happy to accommodate. We can prepare options that are vegan, gluten free, onion-free, oil-free, or meat-only.
- Please note that for severe nut and other allergies where cross-contamination may be an issue, we recommend sourcing a meal from a certified vendor and bringing it in. We can heat, plate and serve it to your guest at the table.